Cinque Terre Food
Whether you are going to Monterosso Al Mare, Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola, or Riomaggiore, there’s no doubt you will be eating great food in Cinque Terre, Italy. All throughout Italy, the food goes without saying, is excellent. Don’t expect the hearty Tuscan fare. This is a seaside community so naturally the cuisine will reflect that.
Pesto and Focaccia was invented in the Liguria area. So don’t pass up an opportunity to taste both the Pesto and Focaccia because they do not get better anywhere else in the world. The fragrance of the typical Pesto sauce, salted anchovies in Monterosso olive oil, and fresh fish with aromatic fillings entice you to eat your meal overlooking the beautiful seascape. Trophie pasta is also from this region and is popularly topped with pesto or seafood.
Specialties of the Cinque Terre:
- The magic ingredients are basil ‘basilico’, garlic ‘aglio’, pine nuts ‘pinoli’, extra virgin olive oil and cheese, either a pecorino or parmigiano, and that’s it.
- Flat bread loaf, made with natural healthy ingredients: flour, olive oil, salt and water. There are several varieties in any of the 5 towns. However, topped with Rosemary, Olives, Tomatos, or any combination of the three is the most popular.
- Lemon-Soaked Anchovies – called “Ammiraglia”, these anchovies must be impeccably fresh as they will only be “cooked” by the lemon juice and salt.
- Fried Anchovies – fried with a light covering of egg, parmesan cheese, garlic and herbs. These are Unbelievable!
- Salted Anchovies – dried and salted or alternatively under oil ‘sott ‘olio’.